While traveling for the past three years I have come across some well hidden secret vacation spots. Places with blue skies, calm oceans and cheap cocktails that almost sound too good to be true. One of these spots which I personally consider to be heaven on earth is Otres Beach located in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Never heard of it? Well, me neither until I got the chance to experience it in all of it’s glory for the very first time.
Otres Beach reminds me of a Thailand or Bali feel as it combines culture with good food and a good time. The key difference between Otres Beach and other destinations however would have to be the fact that Otres Beach is able to maintain a sense of authenticity since it is not highly documented on as a popular tourist destination. Due to this Otres Brach prides itself on it’s Cambodian charm while being able to escape the wrath of tourists taking over.
Some of my favourite eating spots in Otres Beach, Sihanoukville listed below:
1. Local queen prawns: While sunbathing on the sand in front of the Mushroom Point hotel, I was fortunate enough to see local ladies carrying around big platters of queen prawns on the beach. Although I was sceptical to try this local delicacy at first after having one I couldn’t help but buy a bulk purchase of 10 (with an extra two added in for free). These prawns are cooked to perfection and served with lime and chilli salt for a steal of under 10 dollars.
2. Papa Pippo: If you are an Italian cuisine food lover look no further than Papa Pippo for the most authentic version of Italian wood fired pizza and maybe you will even get the chance to run into Papa Pippo himself too. Besides the great food this place has views on views and scenery definitely does not disappoint, perfect for a romantic dinner for two. Please note there are two locations of Papa Pippo’s in Otres beach.
Make a reservation here- Papa Pippo
3. Naia Beach Restaurant: Naia Beach Restaurant is considered to be one of the leading upmarket restaurants in Sihanoukville located directly on the beach. This swanky, minimalistic approach restaurant has an extensive international food menu as well as great mixologist cocktails. The decor resembles a Miami Beach club and the staff are extremely friendly and attentive making Naia Beach Restaurant more than just a food spot but an experience.
Make a reservation here: Naia resort and restaurant
4. The boat: Imagine a picture perfect beach setting, now imagine a boat inserted in this picture perfect beach setting. The boat however is no ordinary boat but a boat which is specifically transformed into a happy hour bar and food spot. This pop up restaurant/bar will appear every afternoon on Otres 2 beach around sunset so keep a look out for it. Amazing view, great vibe and delicious food which you can eat while your toes are quite literally in the sand.
Favorite accommodation spot in Otres beach, sihanoukville:
- Mary beach Bungalows is considered to be one of the cheaper accommodation spots along the prime strip of Otres Beach 2 which houses popular restaurants and bars. A short 500m walk to the sand with friendly staff, great continental breakfasts and a salt water pool I cannot recommend Mary beach bungalows enough.
Make your booking here: Mary Beach Bungalow Agoda
I hope you all consider visiting Otres Beach, Sihanoukville, Cambodia for your next tropical getaway! 🙂